How to make a Garden Planter?
What is a Garden Planter?
A garden planter is a decorative container that comes in various shapes and sizes that's made for growing flowers or plants. They are a perfect fit for gardens, patios or balconies. The popularity of garden planters have rapidly increased with people having several around their homes. They are very useful as it enables you to move your plants so that the weather doesn't have a big effect on he plant performance.
How to make a Garden Planter yourself?
What do I need?
- Metal sheet
- Rivet washers
- Make your template - Get a pot that is similar size to the one you are trying to make. Lay this pot down on a piece if paper and trace the pot whilst rolling it on the paper. Do this for both sides of the pot.
- Trace and Cut metal - Now trace this template onto metal sheet and cut to size. You can cut sheet metal in different ways depending on the thickness, you can access our blog on how to cut sheet metal here. You can use sandpaper to smoothen edges if you desire.
- Apply Rivets - Drill holes into metal sheet to mark where to insert rivets. Then wrap the cut metal sheet round to your garden planter shape and put in the rivets. Apply rivet washers at the back of rivets to keep them in place.
- Cut Metal Bias Tape - To get rid of the raw edges we can add a metal bias tape. This is when we cut a line of metal and fold it to cover the diameter of our garden planter. This will prevent any injury when doing future gardening. Do this twice for each side.
- Apply your metal bias tape using rivets - drill more holes in at bottom to mark where to insert rivets. Apply metal bias tape on top and bottom of your garden planter.
See more blog posts here